Skip to main content

Ramayanaparam -20 Ravana and Mandodari



Here is an interesting conversation between Ravana and Mandodari.
 
Mandodari: Prabho! You look sad and depressed. May I know the reason?
 
Ravana: Mandodari, you know that I brought Sita Devi and she is in the Asoka Vanam for the last several days. I do not want to touch a pativratha like her, without her consent. But she is not even looking at me. There is no way I can change her mind. Mandodari, I know it is not fair to tell about this to you, who is my Dharma patni.
 
Mandodari: Prabho! I am seeing your mind and even if you do not say your desire to have her, I am aware of it. So it is easier for me to accept your "avihitha moham" (unrighteous desire) when you are true to me. I am your well wisher and I hate to see your grief.
 
Ravana: Mandodari, I approached her with many different attires and ornaments and Sita did not even acknowledge my presence. I am disappointed.
 
Mandodari: Prabho! Sita will not look at anybody other than Raama. Her paathivrathyam is exemplary. The only way you can get her eyes on you is by disguising yourself as Raama. If you look like Raama she will fall for you.
 
With his magic, Ravana takes the form of Raama and goes to Sitadevi, but as soon as he took Raama's form all his kaamam or lust disappeared from his mind. He could not look at Sita with lust . He transformed completely in to a satwic person in that form. He came back and told Mandodari:
 
Mandodari, when I disguised as Raama, all my kaamam or lust disappeared. So that also did not work.
 
Mandodari: Prabho! what does that say? If you change your mind and pray to Raama, all your lust and bad vaasanaas will disappear and you will give back Sitadevi to Rama. Then you can surrender to Him and He will protect you from all miseries. Please change your mind. Where there is Raama, there is no kaama and Raama is an incarnation of Vishnu Bhagavan.
 
But we all know that Ravana did not listen to Mandodari's advice and he died at Rama's hands. Even after dying by Rama's arrows, he did not get salvation. Why? Because he saw Rama only as a man and not as an incarnation of Vishnu. So he had to be born one more time as Shishupaala to get salvation. "Anthe Naaraayana smruthi" is essential for salvation, meaning those who think of Naaraayana at the time of death gets moksham. For that, scriptures say, we have to practice remembering Him continuously and success depends on the intensity and sincerity of devotion. Until then we go through "punarapi jananam, punarapi maranam".
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shathaabishekam

6/21/08 When is Shathaabhishekam celebrated? When it should be celebrated? We have heard about different versions of when it should be celebrated, when you complete 84 years, or when you complete 81 years and 10 months or when you complete 83 years 4 months. Shathaabhishekam is celebrated when a person sees 1000 full moons lives through 1000 full moons in his life. Since it is a mathematical calculation, there should only be one answer. Then how are we having all these three answers? (It really does not matter when you celebrate, but out of curiosity to know the reason behind the celebration, I did some research and I thought some people may share my curiosity. Of all the explanations I read I liked the one given below.)   Here is a convincing explanation based mainly on a question -answer series in Bhakthapriya magazine published by Guruvayur devaswom. For clarity, I am trying to express it as mathematically as possible.   Number of full moons in one year = 12   So n

16 names of Lord Vishnu

16 names of Lord Vishnu 4/26/08 These are 16 names of Vishnu to be remembered at different occasions. It is said that sabda (sabda), sparsha (touch), roopa (form), rasa (taste), gandha (smell) and the positive energy or vibration coexist with words. Repeated chanting of each word with bhava creates different results in our body since effort to utter each word uses different muscles and brings different effect in the saadhaka. Chanting can be done like in the naamaavali: Om Vishnave Nama:, Om Janaaardanaaya nama:, Om padmanaabhaaya nama: etc. We will try to analyze the meaning of each name. May be Vishunsahasranama interpretaions will help us. . When taking medicine think of Vishnu Before eating think of Janaardana Before going to bed think of Padmanaabha During marriage think of Prajaapathi During fight or controversial situations think Chakradhara When you are away from home or NRIs like lot of us think of Thrivikrama At the time of death try to think of Naarayana When you are wi

വെയിലുകൊണ്ടുനിന്‍ പൂവുടലയ്യോ - Veyilukondunin Poovudalayyo