Skip to main content

On my 66th birthday

Thank you.
On my sixty sixth birthday, I thank everyone who wished me a happy birthday. Yes, you all contributed a lot in giving me a life filled with endless blessings. And above all, God, whom we call by different names and see in different forms, and some by just accepting the presence of that nameless, formless Higher Power, is making me very happy. I feel very happy and grateful to think of all the blessings God has showered on me since my birth sixty six years ago. I sincerely thank Bhagavan and everybody whom I met in my long life for enriching my life in many many ways unknown to all of you and me. If I list all the blessings, it will probably take another sixty six years to count them and thank God and everybody for everything. So I am not attempting to do that. Instead, let me narrate a story of one of the great women from Mahabharatha whom you may not have heard as much as you have heard about the five famous women- panchakanyas.
Most of us know that in addition to Draupadi, Arjuna had other wives. One was Krishna's sister Subhadra. Let me come to the character of the less known Subhadra and how she inspires me to remain happy even in the midst of "so called difficulties " of life.
After the Mhabharatha war, most of the Kauravas and their army were dead. One who was not killed was Aswathhaama, Dronaaachaarya's son. Fueled by anger and disappointment, he killed all the five sons of Draaupadi while they were sleeping. Everybody cried and even Bhagavan Himself expressed His unhappiness. Draupadi was truly magnanimous to think of the sorrow of Aswathhamaa's mother if he gets killed and pardoned him. Kunti devi requested Bhagaavaan to stay back in Hasthinapuram and even requested to keep giving her sorrows enough to think of Bhagavaan continuously. She wanted Bhagaavaan's physical presence as well as His divine presence in her mind, giving her strength and optimism.
Now let me come back to Subhadra. Subhadra's only son Abhimanyu, the most valorous, bright and handsome, died at the age of sixteen in the Padmavyuham. He did not even start living his life as the great son of Arjuna and Subhadra, as the greatest nephew of Krishna. as the loving husband of Utthara and no need to say, as the proud father of the baby Praikshith in Uttara's womb. But we did not hear Subhadra, mother of the deceased Abhimanyu, cry or she did not even ask her brother Krishna :
"Krishna, You are the mruthyu of mruthyu (death of death) and still why did not you protect even your own nephew, my only son, from death?"
She had total, untainted faith in Krishna and really believed that whatever happens is for the good and Krishna knew what is best for everybody. She did not try to question the will of Krishna and how He arranged the puzzle of her life. She counted all the blessings she had and never complained for anything happened in her life! Even when the Brahmaasthra came to take the life of the only seed left in the Pandava dynasty, Subhadra did not call Krishna for help. She stayed there with folded hands, completely surrendering to His will. Bhagavan did protect her grandson who became one of the greatest kings and one pf the greatest devotee of Krishna. This Subhadra, who never complained in her life, who never prayed for anything specific even when things were going against her expectations, who , with unconditional faith could surrender at the feet of Krishna, The Supreme Lord who happened to be her brother, inspires me, more than my words can express. This does not mean that I am successful in any way in applying that attitude of Subhadraa in my life. Yes, I remain far, far, far away from her, but every day, when things make me happy and sad, I think of her and all my negative thoughts vanish to fill my heart with endless gratitude for Bhagaavan's role through out my existence and for the love He has showered on me through all of you!
With a mind brimming with gratitude for Bhaagavan and all of you, I thank all of you for being there in thick and thin and for helping me remain happy, irrespective of what is happening or not happening in all of our lives.
With warm regards and prayers
Savitri

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shathaabishekam

6/21/08 When is Shathaabhishekam celebrated? When it should be celebrated? We have heard about different versions of when it should be celebrated, when you complete 84 years, or when you complete 81 years and 10 months or when you complete 83 years 4 months. Shathaabhishekam is celebrated when a person sees 1000 full moons lives through 1000 full moons in his life. Since it is a mathematical calculation, there should only be one answer. Then how are we having all these three answers? (It really does not matter when you celebrate, but out of curiosity to know the reason behind the celebration, I did some research and I thought some people may share my curiosity. Of all the explanations I read I liked the one given below.)   Here is a convincing explanation based mainly on a question -answer series in Bhakthapriya magazine published by Guruvayur devaswom. For clarity, I am trying to express it as mathematically as possible.   Number of full moons in one year = 12   So n

16 names of Lord Vishnu

16 names of Lord Vishnu 4/26/08 These are 16 names of Vishnu to be remembered at different occasions. It is said that sabda (sabda), sparsha (touch), roopa (form), rasa (taste), gandha (smell) and the positive energy or vibration coexist with words. Repeated chanting of each word with bhava creates different results in our body since effort to utter each word uses different muscles and brings different effect in the saadhaka. Chanting can be done like in the naamaavali: Om Vishnave Nama:, Om Janaaardanaaya nama:, Om padmanaabhaaya nama: etc. We will try to analyze the meaning of each name. May be Vishunsahasranama interpretaions will help us. . When taking medicine think of Vishnu Before eating think of Janaardana Before going to bed think of Padmanaabha During marriage think of Prajaapathi During fight or controversial situations think Chakradhara When you are away from home or NRIs like lot of us think of Thrivikrama At the time of death try to think of Naarayana When you are wi

വെയിലുകൊണ്ടുനിന്‍ പൂവുടലയ്യോ - Veyilukondunin Poovudalayyo